Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Last Full Day in Guangzhou

Haylee walking around the park
But not straying too far away.

Showing us her tongue


Over and over again.

On the bus on our way to the consulate.




In front of the bus that took us to the US consulate. There were over 40 families completing the last step in their adoptions today. It took 2 large buses and 1 small one to get us all there.

Standing in front of the building that houses the US consulate. I was expecting something a little more dramatic. I was disappointed because there wasn't even a sign saying this is the place.

Me and Haylee standing in front of our favorite shop on Shaiman Island. We bought so much stuff here. They had the cheapest price on the island that we could find for t-shirts. And not only do they have good prices the shop keepers are also very nice.
What a day! It was our last full day in Guangzhou. I am anxious to get home but there is a part of me that will miss it here. It has been a very exciting experience. I can't quite discribe it because I have not had time to process everything. It seems surreal to think that this is the culmination of everything for the last two + years. Today we finished our shopping - and this time I mean it - we've run out of money! Then we took a nap (I will miss our leisure time). Then we headed up to the White Swan to meet our group to go to the consulate for our oath taking and visa gathering. This is the last step in an unbelievable process - one that is difficult to comprehend unless you've done it yourself. There were over forty other families who also went to the consulate for the same purpose. It was fun to see all the other children. There are so many of them that are older and it makes me so happy to see them finally get the families they deserve. There were so many beautiful children in so many different shapes and sizes and the families are just as diverse. We were all herded upstairs to where we had to show our passports. Then we had to go through a security checkpoint and check our backpack. They unfortunately do not allow you to take pictures. Then we had to stand in line at a window and then a man checked our paperwork and looked at Haylee to make sure we had the right baby. Then we all sat down in a huge waiting room. A woman came in (I can't remember her title but I think she was important). She talked for just a few minutes and introduced several families who were back for their second, third and even forth Chinese adoption. Then we all stood and took an oath swearing that all the information we had given in our are myriad of paperwork was truthful and complete to the best of our knowledge. That was it. As far as the US is concerned our adoption is complete. Haylee is ours! And when we land on US soil she will automatically become a US citizen. It was a bit anti-climatic but the moment wasn't lost. The people in our group are so nice and their babies so beautiful. It has been a pleasure getting to know them. We decided to all go to Lucy's and sit on the back patio which is in the middle of the park here on the island for dinner. Almost all of us ordered american (or mexican) food. I think we are all missing home. Tomorrow evening we head to Beijing. I don't know if I will have the opportunity to post again. If I'm able I will keep you all posted of our progress. If not I will be sure to post once we get home so that everyone can see how Haylee is adjusting. Thanks to the many friends and family who have followed us on our incredible journey. We can't wait for you to meet our little Haylee Mei Guihong in person.







5 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! It's finally time to come home! This has been a long process for you guys and I am sure it will take some adjusting when you get home! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is one time when I so wish we were still in Vancouver!!! I can't stop the tears :) She is so beautiful and so obviously yours! I know she would be shy but I want so much to just feel her and hug her. Isn't JOY wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jennie - you are so close to coming home & landing on US soil. I'm sure you'll be glad to just get back home & get into a routine.

    Safe travels tomorrow!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been following along and meaning to comment but have been a slacker :-) And now you're on your way home. What an adventure! We can't wait to meet Haylee. Maybe in May?!? Have a safe trip home. We're thinking of you. xxoo, Rocky

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been leaving messages but I read the blog everyday. I'm really going to miss the updates. Maybe you should just keep it going. You could even get a red couch to take pictures on. love you, Vancouver or bust, Lori

    ReplyDelete