Thursday, April 2, 2009

Orphanage Visit

Some pictures of Dongguan City


Entrance to the orphanage

One of Haylee's nannies. She was very nice and sweet but Haylee was NOT happy to see her.

Bathing area. After seeing this I'm so surprised that Haylee is willing to take baths.

Haylee's crib. It doesn't feel like home any more.

Staying for lunch for "old times" sake.

Attempting to feed Haylee the congee the "right way". In layers.

Laundry facility. I cannot even imagine how much laundry they have to do. The washer and dryer were huge.

Outside the orphanage.

Haylee with Director He. Less than a week ago she was crying to come to us. Now she is crying when she goes to Director He.

This is the spot where Haylee had her referral photo. It is in a courtyard in between the orphanage and the home for elderly care.
McDonalds!


So today was our orphanage visit. We had to wake up early because Director He had asked us to come around 10:00 so that we did not interupt the children's morning schedule. I was very worried about how Haylee might react going back to the orphanage. I thought it might be an emotional experience so Kevin gave her a father's blessing before we left. The drive is about an hour and 1/2 from Guangzhou. We were surprised when they picked us up in a van. It was large and comfortable and gave us a lot of room to spread out. Dongguan city is very nice. The center medians of the road are so well kept with flowers and trees. It is a very modern city. I was expecting a lot of factories, etc. But the city, where the orphanage is located, is very modern and nice. We drove to the entrance and got out. Mrs. He came running across the courtyard - apparently she had been waiting by the gate for us. She was very kind but worried that Haylee would not be warm enough. It drives me crazy how many clothes they think babies should wear. She already had a jacket and shirt but to be polite we added another jacket on top it. Mrs. He tried to hold Haylee but she quickly began to cry and hold her arms out for me. Mrs. He gave her back and she immediately calmed down. It was really my first time that I realized just how attached she has become to us. We went upstairs and visited the babies. It was so very sad. There were so many of them and all in cribs. We visited two floors and every floor had a couple of rooms and every room had maybe 15-20 babies. There were all so cute. There were a few that completely stole my heart. There were two little boys that just smiled and smiled at us every time we talked to them. There was a beautiful set of twin girls. The director joked and said "do you want to take them home?" I would totally have snatched them up if I didn't think I would have been stopped at the door. We met Haylee's nannies and they were very sweet. They wanted to hold her but Haylee started to cry. She was definitely not happy to be there. A couple of people had asked me to try and get pictures of their babies. Unfortunately I could only get 2 of the 4. (If you asked for pictures on the blog please check the messages on your blog for my email address.) The director said the other two had been moved to the medical center. I was so sad. One of the only things that got me through the wait were the kind people who got me pictures of Haylee. I was hoping that I could return the favor. I am still very disappointed. While we were there they started serving lunch. A large bowl of congee. The director spent a lot of time telling us home to make it. It smelled a lot like chicken and rice. They gave Haylee a bowl but I was quickly informed that I was not feeding her right. The best way is in layers, moving in a circular motion around the bowl. I didn't see what the difference was but I tried to do it the "right way". She liked it alot and it seemed much better and higher quality than the congee we have purchased in the restaurants. She ate quite a bit. We didn't get to see much of the orphanage but I do feel like over all I had a good impression. It is not a good place. In fact it is very sad. But I do feel like the nannies and director do the best they can with so many children. I am hoping that all the babies will not have to wait long to have families. It was emotional but I am happy with the way that Haylee handled it. She was content as long as we were holding her and after we left she seemed relieved with no lasting effects. We also drove to Haylee's finding spot. Since one day this information may be very personal to her we have decided not to share it. Afterwards we went to McDonalds for lunch. I do not like McDonalds and rarely ever go there but going to McDonalds in China is an interesting experience. It was actually better than it was in the states. I had a cheeseburger and pineapple sundae. The cheeseburger was good but very peppery. Kevin had spicy chicken wings. They were fried and yummy. I made Kevin go back and get some more to share with me. Haylee liked the french fries. On the way back home Haylee had a very hard time sleeping although she was very tired. When she has a lot of stimulation it seems to affect her being able to go to sleep - which isn't surprising. Once we got back to the hotel she took a nap. We are just going to take it easy for the rest of the day and evening. On another note I used the squatty potties today - twice. I was very proud of myself as it is no simple feat for us westerners. They really aren't as bad as everyone says. I'll have to remember to get a photo for those of you who many be curious. Tomorrow is another quiet day. We just have to do some paperwork for the consulate. I want to say thanks to all those who leave comments. It has been fun to read what you have to say. We are missing all our friends and family but this has been a wonderful experience. Tomorrow will mark one week left. Time has gone by quickly. Haylee is so funny and we are falling in love with her more each day and can't wait for everyone to have a chance to meet this sweet little girl.








3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are talking about w/ the squatty potty's - they have those in Japan and one of my most embarrassing moments EVER happened over a squatty potty - but I'll spare you the details. :) Glad you got to experience that part of Asian culture, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice that you got to visit the orphanage. Olivia's didn't allow visitors. But someday we hope to at least visit the outside of it when she's older. Congratulations on your adorable baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squatty Potties...lol..Now that is funny :) Unlike Jen, I never had any mishaps, but they can be challenging if the circumstances are just right...

    What a neat experience for you and Kevin. We are excited to meet Haylee! Amy was the same way with regards to stimulation and not being able to settle down and sleep afterwards.

    ReplyDelete