Saturday, March 28, 2009

First whole day together

I discovered that she likes to be tickled. She is very ticklish and funny.
Loved the bubbles that daddy was blowing.

Starting to laugh and show her personality. Such a cutie!



Looking cute in her bows that Aunt Crystal made her.



Bedtime. Just laid in the crib and sucked her fingers. Slept all through the night.

It is our first official day together. We didn't have anything scheduled today so we just relaxed. We slept well but I woke up at 4:00 am and couldn't go back to sleep. I suppose I'm still getting used to the time change. Haylee slept really well and surprising through the night. We just laid her in her crib and she sucked on her fingers until she fell asleep. This morning we went to breakfast and she ate a ton! She is good about trying lots of different foods. She had another bowl of congee and some eggs. She loves bread and pastries. She does not, however, like orange juice. The breakfast buffet here is really yummy. It includes all sorts of things that you wouldn't expect for breakfast like spring rolls, little breaded crabs and dumplings. Kevin loves it! We filled up at breakfast and so we skipped lunch. This morning we went out shopping and Mac we found your fan. We were so excited because it was definitely a search. There are so many fun shops on the Island. There was a man who owns a shop that wrote out Haylee's name in chinese characters. He says Haylee means "tender jasmine". It is really fun to go in and speak to the shop keepers. They all speak English and know how to flatter foreigners. They told me that I looked "very young to have children." This afternoon it rained - hard. It was also thundering and lightening. Can't seem to get away from the wet weather. It is very humid here so even when its not raining you are still very wet. The hotel provides umberellas so we braved the weather and went out to dinner. We to an Italian restaurant. It was good but expensive. I thought I had ordered a personal pizza but they ended up bringing me a huge platter. We brought home the left-overs. On the way home a taxi drove by and sprayed us completely with water. I was soaked. We are now in our pjs and ready for bed.
Haylee is doing so fantastic. She is really opening up to us. Today I was tickling her and she was laughing and giggling. She plays games with Kevin and she is talking more. She is so sweet and funny. I think she is starting to like us. On the way home from dinner I was carrying her and she kept looking up at me and then I would look at her and she would smile. She is eating wonderfully and took our bottle even though we had prepared it incorrectly. The instructions were in chinese and so we had to guess. This afternoon we ran into our guide and asked her and she said we were supposed to at 7 scoops. We had done two. So Haylee is pretty amiable to our mistakes. We were able to skype with the kids this morning and they met Haylee. It is so good to see them. I miss them terribly but we are having fun. I love China! The people here are so very kind and good. I will have to write more about that later. Emily - thanks for letting me borrow your carrier - it has been a life-saver. Will write more tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Jennie & Kevin,

    Haylee looks great! She seems to be adjusting well and looks happy. Thanks for updating your blog--I've been anxious to know how you're doing!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading the blog - and hearing everything you are doing. :) I'm glad Haylee is warming up to you. And I agree you do look young to have kids - you're aging well. :) Kara keeps asking who the baby is that I'm looking at - she loves babies.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haylee is so beautiful, I am amazed at how well she is doing. What a blessing. I will continue to follow your blog every day to see how you all are doing. I can't wait to be in China with our little one, Haylee's buddy from Dongguan! Congratulations! Enjoy every second.
    Love,
    Amy
    www.4ourkiddos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't believe she's really with you. It's amazing. What a blessing. She looks adorable. I'm glad she's adjusting so well. And she's a foodie. I love her already. love you guys, lori

    ReplyDelete