Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lazy Day

A picture of the apartment building next to the building where we applied for our passports. I just thought it looked interesting.
These banyan trees are all over the island. They are so big and beautiful.

"Made in China"


Another awesome statue. My sister-in-law Xu tells me that they were made to remind people to be happy and enjoy life. Kevin didn't catch the fact that this lady is walking her dog. See the tail in the corner.
Traffic is amazing here. People just walk out into the middle of the street. There don't appear to be any real traffic rules. It is truly amazing to witness. The cars are so close together and merge on each other in ways that would make westerners freak out. And although drivers love to use the horn people all seem to take the seeming chaos in stride. I find it amazing and I appreciate the skill that it takes to drive in these circumstances. Our drivers have been wizards at getting us around town.

Tonight we went to a fabulous restaurant. Our guide had recommended it to us. Kevin had sizzling steak and I had pork ribs. We also had some delicious green beans. There were not many westerners in the restaurant. I think the giant fish tanks out front scare them off.

Our hotel room. It is very large and comfortable. We have been spending a lot of time here and so it is nice to have the room to spread out a bit.

Haylee enjoying her oatmeal. Yummy!

How Haylee spends most of her time. This girl sleeps ALOT!!!
Today we didn't have much going on. It would have been nice to sleep in but me and Kevin can't seem to sleep past 4:00 am. It is driving us crazy. We went down to breakfast and met some of the couples from last night. I am a bit jealous because they are all heading home in the next day or so. I am loving the experience but anxious to return home and see my kids. I miss them so much! After breakfast we came back and tried to skype with the kids. It is driving me crazy because it isn't working well. (Thanks mom and Ty for trying so hard to get it up and running.)
I had a little break down while talking to them. I wish I could reach through the computer and hold them in my arms. (But don't worry mom, I'm doing okay now.) We went out and walked around a bit and then came back and ate lunch and took a nap. Afterwards we met our driver downstairs and he took us to a government office to apply for Haylee's passport. It was all very short. We then returned to the hotel and did a bit more shopping. We found something cool for mom, but I won't tell you just yet - it will have to be a surprise. We then went to dinner at a lovely restaurant Cordelia recommended. It was yummy! I wish I had taken a picture of the giant fish tanks out front. Me and Kevin are doing a bad job of taking pictures. I'm so used to my mom being with me. I can always count on her to get the pictures that I miss. I will try to be more vigilant in my picture taking. The next few days should be a little bit more fun. Tomorrow we go to QingPing Pearl Market and then on Thursday we are off to Dongguan. I was also hoping to visit Haylee's finding spot, however, it is another hour away from the orphanage so we are still trying to decide. If we do go that will be a very LONG day for our baby. We will have to see.
Haylee is doing really well. She continues to eat and sleep well. However, lately it has been hard to actually get her to go to sleep. She will cry and cry although we can tell she is very tired. I am feeling a bit like I am hitting a little of the "not so rosy" part. While she delights and intrigues us it is becoming a more difficult than I had first imagined. While we are falling in love with her more and more each day -it is a process. I am anxious to get her home so we can be together as a family.








1 comment:

  1. It's been great following this whole process. The pictures remind me a bit of Japan. I'd take pics of just the apartment buildings because they were so interesting with stuff hanging off the balconies.
    The "not so rosy" part will take some adjusting too. Once she is home & playing w/ Logan during the day, they'll be best buds. :) Harrison was a super singer in Primary on Sunday - he's got the song "I wonder when he comes again" down and was probably the loudest "boy" singer that I could hear from the piano.
    You're halfway thru - I think - hopefully things will continue to run smoothly. :)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete